Saturday, June 1, 2013

Staying at home for the moment

   So, since I've last written, things haven't been so great.

    I've been diagnosed with Diabetic Gastroparesis. Basically, it's neuropathy in my stomach. It's not fun. And, as you can tell, it was caused by the diabetes. I know people who have it and have had it for a long time, but they aren't diabetics. I could've prevented it, but I didn't. Because of this, I've stopped some things that have helped my numbers. I stopped drinking and eating anything with aspartame, and believe me, it helps! I've tested my blood sugars a lot more than I used to. Now I'm averaging between 100 and 300 rather than 200 and 400.

   As for Elliot, it isn't so good. In the beginning of March, he had an appointment with his nurse educator. Everything was great, he was at a perfect weight, his numbers were good, his A1c was where they wanted it to be. An exact month after his appointment, he went to see his Endocrinologist.  His A1c went from an 8.4 to a 9.4, he was showing signs of insulin resistance (which usually doesn't start until puberty), he went from being in the 24th percentile to being in the 54th percentile in weight without any gain in height. His endo said that he was taking as much insulin as a 5 year old would take and be able to be under control.
    
   He had learned to sneak snacks. He was being over fed. The doctor suggested that something were to happen, and happen fast. So, it was decided that I would stay home with him. It's been almost 2 months and there is still no real change in his numbers. His last A1c was a 9.1. He is still running really high. With all the changes that we've made, it's so frustrating that this is still happening. The endo thinks that when he gets his insulin pump, he'll be doing so much better. I pray to God that she is right. We've began the process. His insulin pump has been ordered and if everything goes ok, he'll get it in 2 weeks.

    So I ask that you keep him in your prayers. We need all the help we can get!


No comments:

Post a Comment